Saturday, November 12, 2005

I really like the changes Brynne has made in her blog. Now, Brynne is an excellent knitter, and posts frequent project updates, but she does so much more than just knit-- and now her blog "All this by Hand" reflects her other interests! Just so that no one thinks I'm a total deadbeat, I thought I'd post a few of my recent non-knitting motherly craftings (since I AM almost a knitting deadbeat, and have almost nothing to post along those lines!)

Meg's 5th birthday was last week, and we celebrated for two whole days! On Thursday night (the actual birthday) we met my family at Escalantes (Meg requested Mexican food). Aunt Jane and Uncle Mo brought Caroline (Meg's cousin), Uncle John came and brought girlfriend Kelly, and Gammy and Gindy came. A nearby table had a birthday just after we sat down, and Meg herself asked the waitress if they would sing to her, too!



I love this picture; even though you can't see all of Meg, you can sure see the pure joy on her face! I was always so shy as a kid, and the attention would have embarassed me. Meg, however, is as delighted as she could be!

I spent the NEXT day getting ready for the party at Pump It Up (if you're not familiar, it's a kid's dream come true-- huge blow-up moon-bounce type "toys": obstacle course, huge slide, round jumping thing with a "pillow" in the middle-- totally unaffected by weather. They play for a solid hour, then we get 30 minutes to eat pizza and cake and open presents. Best of all, some really cool high school kids are in charge, so all I have to do is help!) We had a kitty theme, and here's the cake I made:



and the party favors:


These are candy sticks-- I started with a 10" dowel rod, a hot glue gun, a pile of candy, and a few toys. I used the glue gun (low temp) to glue a large piece of candy to the stick, then glued the rest around that. (I had to tie ribbon around the necks of the duck keychains, and through the center of the plastic slinkies, then tie/glue those to the sticks.) Then I tied lengths of curling ribbon to the top. Meg's preschool, St. Peter's, makes these to sell at their Fall Festival, and the kids love them. They took a while to make, but I sure had fun!


(yes, that is a neon green Christmas tree in the background. Meg couldn't wait, and talked Gammy into getting it for her. It isn't totally decorated yet, but it's close enough to Thanksgiving that I figured we'd just leave it up! At least it won't die!)

4 Comments:

Blogger amylovie said...

You are such a crafty momma! The cake was precious, and I love the idea for the candy stick. I'm going to have to steal that idea from you!

Amy

3:12 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

You should be very proud of your craftiness! Meg does look very happy in her sombrero. It sounds like you made her birthday very special. I love cakes molded into cute shapes. Nice job!

Sarah :)

8:36 PM  
Blogger traveling knitter said...

My gosh! You are such a great mom! By the way...I LOVE LOVE LOVE the kitty cake....as you can imagine. :)

8:20 AM  
Blogger Catherine Kerth said...

wow! what fun! the party favors were great! your family is very crafty indeed:)

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home