Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Back to School


Another first day of school-- and I can't believe I'm the mommy of a fourth grader! The youngest is in first grade-- how did THAT happen?! (She picked out that outfit herself, and directed me in fixing her hair. I'm so glad ONE of us has some sense of style!)


I'm in school, too-- taking Children's Literature this semester through Sam Houston. This one is almost entirely online, and it's an amazing amount of reading! Not only do we have more than a dozen books on the class list, we have to pick a book for each of about twenty awards! It's a good thing I like children's literature!

This has been a terrific class, not only because I'm enjoying the reading, but also because I'm discovering great books for my girls!

In class, the professor had us choose a children's picture book to analyze the art. Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak, is the "perfect" picture book: as the boy goes deeper into his imaginings, the pictures take up more and more of the "white space" on the pages. As he sails towards home, the pictures (and his imagination) get smaller.







The book I chose was Zen Shorts, by Jon J. Muth. A panda, named Stillwater, appears in the backyard of two children. He shares three stories, each of which offers the children a new perspective on the world and on each other. Muth uses soft, gentle watercolors to tell the main body of the story; the three "zen" stories Stillwater shares are illustrated in playful ink drawings.









Meg's favorite stories in my collection for class are the Mr. Putter and Tabby stories, by Cythia Rylant. Both Mr. Putter and Tabby are old, but they share adventures and learn something new in each story! These stories are illustrated by Arthur Howard in pencil, watercolors, and pastels; the illustrations are cartoonlike and playful-- I enjoy these almost as much as Meg does!

2 Comments:

Blogger Brynne said...

Your girls look so grown up! Good luck with your class. Although I know it will be a lot of work, it sounds interesting.

2:25 PM  
Blogger Mommy23 said...

I enjoyed reading about the list of kid books you mentioned. I own www.freckletown.com I'm constantly looking for new features. I know you're busy with school but if you're ever interested in writing recommendations for childrens' books I'd love to have you do that for FreckleTown. It would only be one recommendation per month. I can't pay you (as I'm a one woman show with only a few advertisers) so it would just be something for fun.
Let me know if you're interested. I taught school for 10 years and I'm always looking for new ideas for my three to read. :-)

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home